Historical attractions in Kecskemet
Kecskemet is one of the 23 towns with county status of Hungary. It is located in the central part of the country and has a long history, first documented in historical records dating from the first century BC. It a nice and clean city with with welcoming locals and beautiful landscapes. Let’s see some historical attractions in Kecskemet.
The building of the City Hall in Kecskemet is a monument in itself. The Great Church of Kecskemet is one of the most imposing buildings of the city, but the Calvinist Church and Saint Nicholas Franciscan Church also worth a visit.
The Town Hall of Kecskemet
The Town Hall of Kecskemet was built in the nineteenth century, in 1893. The building was designed by Ödön Lechner and Gyula Pártos. With an impressive appearance, located in downtown, the city hall is decorated with Turkish and Hungarian folklore elements and represents the beginning of the national romantic movement. From the architectural point of view, the building is included in the transition from Renaissance to Baroque, with elements of both styles. Because of this, it has been criticized in the era of the followers of classicism. Bertalan Székely, who painted and decorated the interior of the Matthias Church in Budapest, is the one who decorated the main lobby of the City Hall in Kecskemet.
The Great Church
The construction of the Great Church of Kecskemet was started in 1774 according to the plans of Gáspár Oswald, but was completed only in 1806. The church is located on the Great Square. From the entrance you will see the group of statues depicting Jesus that handing Saint Peter the keys of heaven. Valuable and interesting sculptures are located in the niches of the interior walls. The altar is very impressive and it is painted by the Hungarian artist Ferenc Falkoner. The church tower can be visited from June to August and the view over the city is truly unforgettable.
The Calvinist Church
An important tourist landmark in the city of Kecskemet is the Calvinist Church. Located at the northeast from the Szabadság Square, the church has a specific late romantic style. It was built in Baroque style in the late seventeenth century and was the only stone church in the region during the Ottoman rule. Originally had two shrines and had no tower. Because of the war, it passed through several stages of reconstruction and expansion, the last being in 1819 when the roof was decorated with tiles.
Saint Nicholas Franciscan Church
The Saint Nicholas Franciscan Church in Kecskemet is the oldest church in the city and still preserves the medieval layout, although it was built in the thirteenth century. Among the locals, is is also known as the Church of Monks. A special attention deserves the statuary group presenting the Crucifixion located on the outer wall. At various renovations of the building of the church were also added Baroque -inspired decorative elements. The church is located in the Kossuth Square.