The Eastern Railway Station of Budapest
The Eastern Railway Station is the busiest railway station in Budapest. The name is not given because of the location, but because of its connection with the Eastern regions, such as Transylvania and the Balkans.
The station is the starting point of four main railway lines: Budapest-Gyor-Vienna, Budapest-Hatvan-Miskolc, Budapest-Szolnok-Békéscsaba-Arad and Budapest-Kelebia-Belgrade.
It is the terminal of most of the internal Intercity lines, and the main international railway junction in Hungary.
Reaching the Eastern Railway station
The Eastern or Keleti Railway Station is located in the 8th district of the capital city, on the Baross Square, it is one of the stops of the Metro Line 2 since 1970 and it is planned to be one of the stations of the Metro Line 2 from 2014. A railway station can be reached by the number 7 bus family, by trolleys, by tram line nr 24, and several bus lines.
The building of the Eastern Railway Station
The building of the Eastern Railway Station of Budapest was built between the years 1881 and 1884 by MÁV in eclectic style. Its original name was Central Railway Station. It was one of the most modern railway stations in Europe when it was built. The architect of the reception building was Gyula Rochlitz, and the architects of the hall were John Feketeházy and was Mór Than.
The hall of the Eastern Railway Station originally had 5 lines, then in 1980 remained four of them, accompanied by five tracks on the north side and one short stub track and three tracks on the south side.
The monumental nature of the railway station
On top of the 43 meter high facade is an allegorical sculpture group made by Gyula Bezerédi. It had to be recreated at the reconstruction of the building in the 1990s. You can also see the statues of James Watt, the inventor of the steam engine and George Stephenson, the designer of the Rocket steam locomotive near the front doors. The four statues on the columns under the clock disappeared in 1930, but were replaced in 2003.
The iron structure of the 42 meter wide reception hall with 5 lines was built according to the plans of John Feketeházy. The cross section of the roof structure of the hall is approximately an inverted catenary.
The luxurious cashier room of the Eastern Railway Station was renovated in 2008 contains the frescoes of Karoly Lotz and Mór Than. Besides of this the electric lights and the central controlled switching system was a technical novelty at that time. The original painting of the hall was designed by Albert Schikedanz.
In the building of the Eastern Railway Station of Budapest participated reputable contractors. The pile fundation was done by the company of Gregersen Guilbrand, the iron structure is the workd of the MÁVAG, the electric light system is made by the Ganz Factory. The metalwork was made in the workshop of Gyula Jungfer and the cast iron components in the factory of Anthony Oetl.