The Fisherman’s Bastion in Budapest
The Fisherman’s Bastion in Budapest is one of the most famous monuments and it is one of the most important tourist attractions.
This neo-Romanesque style terrace is situated on the Buda Hill and offers a wonderful panoramic view of Budapest, the best place admire the Danube, and the Parliament building. This beautiful outstanding building was built between 1895 and 1902 according to plans by Friedrich Schulek. During the Second World War, the building suffered serious damages, the restoration was lead by John Schulek, the son of Frederick Schulek.
The story of the Fisherman’s Bastion
The name “Fisherman’s Bastion” has a simple reason: it was built above the Fishing Town. Long ago the fishermen sold their wares on the fish market next to the Matthias Church. In days of war the fishermen were also the defender of the tower.
The World Wars and the forces of nature badly damaged the building, but it was renovated twice, the second renovation was finished in October 2003.
The three main parts of the Fisherman’s Bastion
The Fisherman’s Bastion in Budapest is the masterpiece of architect Frederick Schulek has three parts: the stairs, the towers with the passages and the court of bastion in south with the statue of Saint Stephen.
The stairs of the Bastion
Before the bastion was built, the Castle Hill could be climbed using the long, dark and narrow Jesuit Stairs running in the south wall of the bastion. Schulek transformed and expanded the stairs in some places, decorated the lower gate with a relief work from the excavated remains of the stone lions from the Romanesque church. In the right and left side of the stairs he placed statues of warriors with different weapons from the Arpad time period in three curved niches on both sides.
The towers and the passages
The north and the south towers were linked by corridors built for military purposes. He transformed them into a promenade with pleasant panorama. Currently this area serves as a lookout.
In the northern part of a the Fisherman’s Bastion in Budapest you will find a group of towers on different levels and the front of the main tower is guarded by the statues the Hungarian leaders Előd and Álmos, the statue of a lion and a mythical creature with opened mouth.
The court of the bastion with the statue of Saint Stephen
The third major part of this monumental group consists of the court of the Fisherman’s Bastion and the equestrian statue of Saint Stephen, the founder of the country. The statue is the work of the sculptor Alajos Stróbl and it was made between the years 1898-1903.
The neo-Romanesque style foundation of the statue of Stróbl was designed by Schulek and was placed in the geometric center of the southern court of the bastion. The base of the statue is decorated with relief works, which depict some famous moments of the reign of King Stephen.