The Storno Palace in Sopron
Sopron is a wine-producing region, being one of the few places in Hungary that produce both red and white wines. For the red wine are used Lemberges grapes and for the white wine are used Traminer grapes. Tourists should also know that the architecture of the town reflects its long history with the remaining walls and foundations since the Roman Empire.
The Tower of Sopron is the symbol of the city. The structure built in 1290, with a height of 58 meters, is guarding the gates to the town. One of the most imposing buildings in Sopron is the Storno Palace, a baroque building from the fourteenth century.
Important personalities of the Storno Palace
The Storno Palace in Sopron is important both in terms of architecture and the personalities who have lived here. King Matthias Corvinus lived here during the siege of Vienna between the years 1482-1483 and later, the great composer Franz Liszt gave a series of concerts in the palace rooms during the years 1840-1814. Count István Széchenyi was also an important guest of the castle. In 1872 the palace was bought by Franz Storno. The family with Italian-Swiss roots is linked to the history of Sopron, being recognized as great artists and art collectors.
The appearance of the palace
The present form of the Storno Palace dates back to the eighteenth century. The building is quite impressive, consisting of two floors, richly decorated with arches bearing the crest of the Festetics family, framed by two columns.
The interesting life of Franz Storno
Although Franz Storno had a talent for painting, Franz Storno did not have financial possibilities to pay studies, so came to Sopron in 1845, and was employed as a chimney sweeper. After his master’s death, he married his widow and continued the business. After a time, rediscovering his artistic talent, became the best known restorer of churches. Along with other artists he participated to the restoration of the Church of Saint Michael in Sopron. He also worked along with his sons, Ferenc and Kalman from the year 1870. According to family tradition, they were chimney sweeps as well, but studied in the famous art academies of those times.
Throughout his life Storno proved to be a great collector. Its collections were the basis for the exhibition opened at the Storno Palace in Sopron and consists of valuable porcelain, original furnishings, paintings, sculptures and ceramics. The Storno family lived in this palace till 1984.